Thursday, January 25, 2018

Sean's Comedy Corner: The Great Muppet Caper

Sean's Comedy Corner

In a comedy rut? Looking for something new to tickle your funny bone?  I've scoured the internet and beyond to bring you these comedy gems.

Episode Four

The Great Muppet Caper

"I'm Out!"

 I'm a comedy nerd.  Growing up I loved and would search out anything and everything related to comedy.  To that end, there have been 3 major influences on my comedy career.  3 forces that have shaped the comedian I am today.  They are Saturday Night Live (specifically '86 to '93), The Monkees (more on them in a later post), and The Muppets.


There have been thousands of articles and books written about the greatness of the Muppets.  So I don't need to explain my love or why they are so influential.  But I do want to talk about one of their movies... or rather, one specific scene in one of their movies.

The Great Muppet Caper was the Muppets' second movie.  While funny, it doesn't hold a candle to the original Muppet Movie.  That said, it contains two of the funniest moments I believe have ever committed to film.  And they both occur within 30 seconds of each other.



"...walk around naked..."
Comedy is edgy.

Hearing a Muppet talking about nudity blew my little ten year-old mind.  I didn't know Muppets could talk about getting naked.  Heck,  I never realized Muppets could even get naked.  I knew the joke was dirty, inappropriate and definitely not meant for me.  And I loved it.  Suddenly I realized comedy could be a little dangerous.  And if done right, dangerous comedy could hide in the most family-friendly of places.

"I'm out."
Comedy is unexpected.

You've seen scenes like this dozen of times.  It's the rally the troops moment.  The all for one and one for all moment.  It's meant to be inspiring, stirring, uplifting.  Yet, with a single line, Floyd shattered those expectations.  The fact that Kermit's buddies would so quickly abandon him was a curveball that came out of nowhere. Perfectly and hilariously unexpected.   I have spent the rest comic life looking for those perfect unexpected moments.




No comments: